A LIST OF TESTED QUESTIONS
- WARM-UP QUESTIONS
- WORK HISTORY
- JOB PERFORMANCE
- CAREER GOALS
- CREATIVITY DECISIVENESS
- RANGE OF INTERESTS
- MOTIVATION WORK
- ORAL PRESENTATION SKILLS
- WRITTEN COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- STRESS TOLERANCE STABILITY & MATURITY
- INTEREST IN SELF DEVELOPMENT
- What made you apply for this position?
- How did you hear about this job opening?
- Briefly, would you summarise your work history & education for me?
- What special aspects of your work experience have prepared you for this job?
- Can you describe for me one or two of your most important accomplishments?
- How much supervision have you typically received in your previous job?
- Describe for me one or two of the biggest disappointments in your work history?
- Why are you leaving your present job? (or, Why did you leave your last job?)
- What is important to you in a company?
- What things do you look for in an organization?
- Everyone has strengths & weaknesses as workers. What are your strong points for this job?
- What would you say are areas needing improvement?
- How did your supervisor on your most recent job evaluate your job performance?
- What were some of the good points & bad points of that rating?
- When you have been told , or discovered for yourself , a problem in your job performance, what have you typically done?
- Can you give me an example?
- Do you prefer working alone or in groups?
- What kind of people do you find it most difficult to work with? Why?
- Starting with your last job, tell me about any of your achievements that were recognised by your superiors.
- Can you give me an example of your ability to manage or supervise others?
- What things would you like to avoid in a job? Why?
- In your previous job what kind of pressures did you encounter?
- What would you say is the most important thing you are looking for in a job?
- Name some of the things on your job you feel you have done particularly well or in which you have achieved the greatest success? Why do you feel this way?
- Identify some of the things about your last job that you found most difficult to do?
- Describe some of the problems you encounter in doing your job?
- Which one frustrates you the most?
- What do you usually do about it?
- Describe some things you particularly liked about your last job?
- Do you consider your progress on the job representative of your ability? Why?
- How do you feel about the way you & others in the department were managed by your supervisor?
- If I were to ask your present (most recent) employer about your ability as a____________________, what would he/she say?
- What special aspects of your education or training have prepared you for this job?
- What courses in school have been of most help in doing your job?
- What is your long-term employment or career objective?
- What kind of job do you see yourself holding five years from now?
- What do you feel you need to develop in terms of skill & knowledge in order to be ready for that opportunity?
- Why might you be successful in such a job?
- How does this job fit in with your overall career goals?
- Who or what in your life would you say influenced you most with your career objectives?
- Can you pinpoint any specific things in your past experience that affected your present career objectives?
- What would you most like to accomplish if you had this job?
- What might make you leave this job?
- What kind of things do you feel most confident in doing?
- Can you describe for me a difficult obstacle you have had to overcome? How did you handle it?
- How do you feel this experience affected your personality or ability?
- How would you describe yourself as a person?
- What do you think are the most important characteristics & abilities a person must possess to become successful ?
- How do you rate yourself in these areas?
- Do you consider yourself a self-starter? If so, explain why ( and give examples)
- What do you consider to be your greatest achievements to date? Why?
- What things give you the greatest satisfaction at work?
- What things frustrate you the most?
- How do you usually cope with them?
- In your work experience, what have you done that you consider truly creative?
- Can you think of a problem you have encountered when the old solutions didn't work & when you came up with new solutions? Of your creative accomplishments big or small , at work or home, what gave you the most satisfaction?
- What kind of problems have people recently called on you to solve?
- Tell me what you have devised.
- Do you consider yourself to be thoughtful, analytical or do you usually make up your mind fast? Give an example. (Watch time taken to respond)
- What was your most difficult decision in the last six months?
- What made it difficult? The last time you did not know what decision to make, what did you do?
- How do you go about making an important decision affecting your career?
- What was the last major problem that you were confronted with?
- What action did you take on it?
RANGE OF INTERESTS
- What organisations do you belong to?
- Tell me specifically what you do in the civic activities in which you participate. (Leading questions in selected areas. i.e. sports, economics, current events, finance.)
- How do you keep up with what's going on in your company / your industry/ your profession?
- What is your professional goal?
- Can you give me examples of experience on the job that you felt were satisfying?
- Do you have a long & short-term plan for your department? Is it realistic?
- Did you achieve it last year?
- Describe how you determine what constitutes top priorities in the performance of your job.
- What are your standards of success in your job?
- In your position, how would you define doing a good job? On what basis was your definition determined?
- When judging the performance of your subordinate, what factors or characteristics are most important to you?
- In your present job what approach do you take to get your people together to establish a common approach to a problem?
- What approach do you take in getting your people to accept your ideas or department goals?
- What specifically do you do to set an example for your employees?
- How frequently do you meet with your immediate subordinates as a group?
- What sort of leader do your people feel you are? Are you satisfied?
- How do you get people who do not want to work together to establish a common approach to a problem?
- If you do not have much time & they hold seriously differing views, what would be your approach?
- How would you describe your basic leadership style?
- Give specific examples of how you practice this?
- Do you feel you work more effectively on a one to one basis or in a group situation?
- Have you ever led a task force or committee or any group who doesn't report to you, but from whom you have to get work?
- How did you do it?
- What were the satisfactions & disappointments?
- How would you handle the job differently?
ORAL PRESENTATION SKILLS
- Have you ever done any public or group speaking? Recently? Why? How did it go?
- Have you made any individual presentations recently?
- How did you prepare?
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Would you rather write a report or give a verbal report? Why?
- What kind of writing have you done? For a group? For an individual?
- What is the extent of your participation in major reports that have to be written?
- What was the most important idea or suggestion you received recently from your employees?
- What happened as a result?
- What do you think about the continuous changes in company operating policies & procedures?
- How effective has your company been in adapting its policies to fit a changing environment?
- What was the most significant change made in your company in the last six months which directly affected you, & how successfully do you think you implemented this change?
- Do you feel pressure in your job?
- Tell me about it.
- What has been the highest pressure situation you have been under in recent years?
- How did you cope with it?
STABILITY & MATURITY
- Describe your most significant success & failure in the last two years.
- What do you like to do best? What do you like to do least?
- What in your last review did your supervisor suggest needed improvement? What have you done about it?
INTEREST IN SELF DEVELOPMENT
- What has been the most important person or event in your own self development?
- How much of your education did you earn?
- What kind of books & other publications do you read?
- Have you taken a management development course?
- How are you helping your subordinates develop themselves?