JOB SEARCH THE SIX STEPS C&E Guidance
• You have completed the assessments and reviews and are comfortable with the findings.
• You are aware of your set of personal characteristics and capacities including, ability level, special aptitudes, personal work style, likes and dislikes, fears and motivators, strengths and limitations, general personality traits.
• You have established your set of occupational interests.
• You have research details of all careers in your high interest categories.
• You are enthusiastic about pursuing a job that fits comfortably within your profile and offers exciting and rewarding challenges.
You are now ready to launch your extensive JOB Search campaign.
Prepare your CV. Your Personal Brochure.
- It must be carefully crafted to represent you as an excellent applicant, qualified, capable and enthusiastic who will add great value to the organisation.
- Prepare it with the reader in mind.
- Adopt a modern style format.
- Make it easy for the reader to quickly identify your contact information, your personal profile, your career objectives, your education and qualifications, your work experience and achievements, your other interests and pastimes, your referees.
- Do not exceed two pages.
Distribution of CV. Your Personal Brochure.
Identify the top companies/ organisations who offer your desired career.
- 1 Make list of names and addresses from the Phonebook, the Golden Pages, Trade magazines, Internet, professional bodies, government departments
- 2 Refine the list and put in order of preference based of your research.
- 3 Post CV to the named HRM Director. (phone to identify)
- 4 Start with 5 companies. Then try 5 more if necessary.
- Include covering letter stating that you are “keen to gain employment with your company and would be pleased if you would keep my details on file and contact me if and when a suitable vacancy occurs”
Like any promotions brochure, the more you distribute the better chance of a successful hit
Scan the papers on a daily basis for Job Adverts.
- Ensure you get the Irish Independent on Thursdays. Jobs & Careers Supplement.
- Ensure you get the Irish Times on Fridays. Appointments section
- Ensure you get the Sunday Independent also each week. Appointments Sect.
- Other national and local papers carry employment advertisements.
- Also keep a look out for trade magazines and publications of Professional Bodies.
- A list of agencies can be found in the Golden Pages under Employment agencies and also Recruitment specialists
- Access their web sites to determine their areas of specialisation. Post or eMail your CV
- Important : The Nation Recruitment Federation represents all agencies who subscribe to an agreed code of conduct in regard to standards of service to clients. You can access at www.nrf.ie to view its membership.
- This site will also point you to agencies that specialise in your career interest category.
Networking with friends and associates
- Networking is keeping in contact. It is a two way operation.
- Consciously build your network of contacts and useful information is then only a phone call away.
- Many people find their ideal career by word of mouth.
- Do not canvas contacts when applying for public service positions.
- Discuss your career ambitions with acquaintances and ask them to inform you of any opportunities that may come to their notice.
- Ask friends to enquire of direct and indirect contacts of career opportunities about to become vacant or in the planning.
- Do not be hesitant about making enquiries and sussing out information.
- Use your CV to make direct contact.
- The recruitment process is highly expensive for companies and organisations.
- Having CVs of suitable candidates on file short-circuits the process and cuts costs.
- Companies also find it expedient to use Recruitment agencies.
- They also use the internet widely.
- You should maximise your chances of early success by availing of all avenues and sources.
- “Success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection”
- “A person with passion for their work is better than twenty merely interested”.
Finally : Lady Luck also plays a central role. Being in the right place at the right time.
However even Lady Luck can be assisted with persistence and perseverance.
Jack Griffin. BA HDE TTG DCG
Career and Education Services